October 02, 2010

The Literal Use of Literally

I want to talk about the word ‘literally’. Too many smug wordy types get a hard-on every time someone uses the word wrongly, i.e. for emphasis, e.g. “She literally exploded with rage.” What they meant, of course, was ‘she figuratively exploded with rage’, but who’s going to say that?

The point is, and I think I may be new in saying this, is that the word ‘literally’ isn’t itself used literally, in the true meaning of the word. It’s used, as I said, to emphasise. You might say ‘she completely exploded with rage’, or she ‘absolutely exploded…’ These are equally erroneous, but don’t instigate mirth. It’s about time the meaning changed, in the same way that other words’ meanings have changed, or become diluted. I’m tired of smug assholes sniggering into their sleeves because someone said ‘literally’ instead of another emphatic word.

You may argue that it’s wrong, and actually, it is. But so is saying ‘I’m terribly sorry’, ‘that’s great’, or, using the above example, ‘she completely exploded’. All of these are just as wrong, and personally I feel it’s about time that the word literally took a duality of meaning, just as ‘terribly’ or ‘awfully’ have. The ‘awfully’ in ‘I’m awfully sorry’ has no connection to the true meaning of awful, and neither does ‘terribly’. So why the hang up on ‘literally’?

Some people just like pointing out other people’s obvious mistakes to make themselves look clever, in my opinion.

Oh, but don’t get me started on ‘could of’ instead of “could have” or “could’ve”.

No comments:

Post a Comment