March 15, 2010

People On Facebook Will Believe Any Old Crap

Social networking. This fashion-generation’s (every few years fashion sea-changes, doesn’t it?) hot thing.

I have an average number of friends on FB, and I would say that the majority of them are intelligent, sensible, sentient beings. I wouldn’t expect them to be suckered in real life too often.

So why do I see so many of my friends falling for obvious fake Facebook pages?

Invite all your friends and we’ll send you a free laptop.
Invite all your friends and we’ll send you a free I-Pad (worst name ever for a product by the way).
Invite all your friends and we’ll donate to the Relief Fund for…..
Invite all your friends and we’ll unlock a secret part of Farmville/Mafia Wars etc


You get the picture?

Why do people set these up? I guess it’s for money. Somehow. Or notoriety? Or kicks? Who knows? How much money can there be in creating a page for a pie-in-the-sky Farmville gift?

No doubt there’s financial motivation behind some of it, perhaps in the form of contact-harvesting for pushing other promotions, but I can’t help thinking some of these fan pages are set up by lonely saddos, just to see how many people they can get to join so that they can feel better about themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment