June 09, 2011

The Problem with Banning Corporal Punishment.



Corporal Punishment, 'CP' in the rest of this article, has just been outlawed in Korea well a few months ago this is not today's news. I'm old enough to remember CP at school back in England, and have also seen it first hand, both at school, and out here in Asia. I've also taught in both environments, where CP is both banned and used. Here's my take on why banning it is a bad thing.

Firstly, let me say that banning altogether has some plusses. No doubt there are teachers who take it too far, but in my experience these are extremely isolated incidents. Really, they are. Has anyone ever seen, or heard, of anyone, not via the media, that was severely beaten by a teacher? I haven
't.

 

Secondly, let me say that personally, I'm not in favour of hitting kids. I don't have any myself, but if I did I doubt I'd hit them. My parents never hit me though I was CP'd many times at school. Even when it was legal here I didn't CP anyone.

But the problem with actually BANNING it is that once you do this, you essentially hand over the leadership of the school to the pupils therein. NOT because you now have no means to discipline them, but because they know that they have the law on THEIR side. A pupil could, if he or she took a dislike to you, report you for a friendly tap on the shoulder or pat on the head. And they will. This adds massive pressure to the job of teaching, so now of course you have a policy of no physical contact whatsoever. (And let
's be adult here, I am not talking, suggesting, implying or inferring sexuality in any of this.)

When I first started teaching in
Korea, I literally never touched the kids, having taught in England previously, that was the norm, but I was eventually pretty-much ordered to! I was at first considered a 'cold' teacher. This was elementary school, and it was/is very normal here to, say, put your arm round a kid's shoulder when you're talking to them etc. It's not so normal back in the UK, and actually I feel a bit weird typing this what with the west's/our predilection with calling everyone a paedo at the drop of a hat. But the west's obsession with that is for another article. I digress

In short, the pupils now know that they have the law, and therefore the power, on THEIR side. 99% of my pupils are well behaved and a healthy rapport is maintained. But, I
'll tell you one thing I jokingly, and smilingly, I shook my fist at a kid in a mock "why I oughta!" kind of way recently. His response? "Teacher, if you do that again I will contact the police!" he meant it.  They know. They know the power has shifted. They know that they are the ones who can get you into trouble. It shifted in the UK, and it will shift here. I used to pat my kids on the back when they fell asleep. I daren't now. I have a drum and cymbal at home I'm bringing that in that should wake them up! However, I reiterate the power has shifted now. Be warned.



3 comments:

  1. I had to retrain myself to be distant from the kids when I returned to teaching in the UK from abroad. It then got to the point that I was about to give up on teaching as a career in the UK because I was teaching in areas of high deprivation where maintaining discipline was the major, and hardest, part of my job. The daily comments, such as, 'I'll get you fuckin' sacked!' start to wear away at you after a while. Thankfully, I'm now in the private system where it's not an issue but my promotion prospects are stifled because it's a small community and I'd rather drink paint than go back into the state system. Here's hoping Korea doesn't slip as far down that slope as the UK has.......

    Allan

    ReplyDelete
  2. A group of students was acting up the other day in my classroom. Depending on their sense of humor, or shame or pride decided their reaction which was either impressed or shamed by what followed. I had the students line up and get on their hands and knees. I then got on my hands and knees with them. I made them follow along with my pushups and by 6 they were spent but I kept going.

    I'm not into corporal punishment but I think
    we can not trade discipline with that either.
    Discipline is necessary and it gives the students respect for the authority figure. Many expect it in Korea. I was surprised at how the students try to use my western attitude against me. Well, I'm strict with my students and they are behaving better than when I first started and they are performing better. This just proves my efforts correct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, both of you.

    Allan - that phrase "I'll get you sacked" is common in UK high schools. And it just proves the point - the power is now in the hands of the kids. What a ridiculous situation.

    ReplyDelete